Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Vote Obama

It's no secret that I'm an Obama supporter, but I've not come right out and made the case for why I believe that Obama is the proper vote for an evangelical. I will do that now. In no particular order:
1. I like his tax policy. Middle class liquidity and specific tax abatements for factors driving job growth yield a strong economy. Supply side economics is either a "failed economic theory" or probably more accurately a strong response to Keynesian excess, it's bad policy for now. It's fair to say there's a little bit more gray area on cap-gains taxes, which is why I was pleased that Obama's tax plan included cap gains cuts for small businesses and start-ups.
2. I like his general approach to foreign policy. Some background--A group of thinkers included then academic Condoleeza Rice began writing about how, basically, it was OK for the US to act in its own interest. They felt like the multilateral, internationalist approach in old europe signaled a breakdown in the role of autonomous nation states or, put in more real terms that Europe banded together because they were kind of pussies and had to. It's easy to sit in Norway or France and talk about humanitarian rights knowing that if need be you'd have some Americans go in and kick some ass and then after you could...I don't know...write a poem. This set up a debate between the idiot right (i.e. the current administration) and the idiot left which felt like compromise and "it's americas fault" were the only right answers. Both of these are obviously stupid, but I think Obama's approach to foreign policy issues tends to lead to the right answer and tends to be more mature.
3. I like his reconciliation of faith in the public square. Find his speech from Call to Renewal. I've seen the cock up version they talk about on Fox News. Read the whole thing. It's excellent.
4. I think he is a legitimately transformative figure. At the risk of sounding like a Successory part of the problem with America right now is that we don't dream enough, and I think Obama asks more of us than McCain.
5. I like how he thinks. He's smart and brings an intellectual rigor to issues that's rare in people, let alone politicians.
6. I like Joe Biden. I think he would be a good president if Obama were to die.
7. I like his books.
8. I like the legislation he's proposed. He's not been in the senate long, but he's been fairly prolific while there. It's wonky disciplined things that get stuff done--transparency, nuclear non-proliferation--not sexy but good.
9. I think his policies will limit the number of abortions performed. I really do. I think abortion is wrong, I also think it's become a political football. I don't think either party would successfully overturn Roe, so for now the debate is over limiting the number of abortions performed. I believe Obama's policies would be better for this.
I like John McCain, it was actually his 2000 Campaign that really sparked my interest in politics. I've written before about the sad dissonance between that McCain and this one, and I won't do it again.
If you're still undecided (and I know I've got friends who read this that are) please consider these reasons.

5 Comments:

Blogger Keith W said...

Ok, now context first.

IF I vote for a president this year (I am going to vote, I might just leave that part of the ballet blank), I will vote most likely for Obama. I'm not a one issue guy. I vote mainly on HC, the poor, the environment, and then life issues like war and abortion (in that order). And I'm a lot more passive when it comes to politics, I'm not nearly as educated as you.

My hang-up is this.

http://www.bornalivetruth.com

I know this is a political add, so maybe it's way slanted/deceitful. And I'm too passive to do the research, so I post it here and ask your perspective.

The other thing that ticks me off is that all of politics/politicians talk about the middle-class. Honestly, screw the middle class. What about the poor. We need to stop worrying about making middle class people more comfortable/happy and start talking about the horrific injustices and structures our society has that propagates a cycle of poverty. I understand why Obama "can't" talk about the poor because it won't get him votes (as talking about the middle class will)... but it still makes my heart break.

But, I think Obama will be better for the poor, for the environment, for less war.... so that's where I lean...

Keith

4:07 AM  
Blogger Keith W said...

I forgot to mention, My twins were born at 27 weeks (3 months early).... hence my complete state of being horrified at such a stance on life.

4:14 AM  
Blogger RA Cook said...

Keith:
Yeah I lose sleep on that one too. Here's the Obama campaign response:
http://fightthesmears.com/articles/15/wildaccusations
I guess it comes down to a choice on who to trust. Do you trust his attackers who are against him but also Roe in general, or do you trust him when he has an obvious motive to obfuscate.
I choose to believe him.
Now here's the next step--if I believe him than it means that his Senate opposition created legislation designed to make him vote no and look evil. That makes me mad. If you think abortion is wrong than it can't be a football.
Again, I lose sleep on this one. I was asked months ago if I was interested in being part of an "Evangelicals for Obama" thing and declined based on exactly this concern. At the time I wasn't convinced and (I told them) it was because they had failed to convince me.
Now I'm sold. I think Obama is wrong on abortion. I also think that his approach to policy and his understanding of poverty will ultimately help drain the swamp and thus help have fewer abortions.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Keith W said...

thanks for the thoughtful response... I am in the same place as you... his stance on abortion absolutely breaks my heart,... but being pro-life is bigger than one issue I guess.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

So, the election is over. My few thoughts.

- I grudgingly voted for McCain. Hoping I was voting for the McCain of 2000. I like that he's pro-life, against torture, and fights government corruption. I was not proud that he let his "advisers" let him get away from being who he was.

- McCain lost because he ran a poor campaign. Perhaps showing he cannot be a leader of people. He certainly did not show good leadership in his campaign. As the pivotal decisions were poor.

- Obama has the ability to inspire. I hope he means what he says in wanting to be everyone's president. I'm not sold on his "leadership." So, I hope and pray he proves to be a prudent leader.

- Obama's position on abortion issues, record, and actions scare me. His support of the "freedom of choice" act and promises to pass it show that his leadership in that arena is scary for those who are proponents of a right to life. Also, while his actions as an Illinois Senator may not amount to infanticide, it does show he is committed to the NARAL's/Planned Parenthood's of the world. I wish he weren't.

- Many Christians voted for Obama, despite his record on abortion. I hate that people attack others for this because each person must discern his/her conscience. In the end we're called to be a community of believers pursing God's will. Regardless of our politics, we're called to be Christians first and to view politics through the eyes of Christ.

- God is neither Republican, nor Democrat. He is our Creator and calls us to be conformed to His likeness and image.

- Either way, Obama being elected hasn't done anything. It is still up to all of us as citizens to effect the change and society that God intends for His creation.

- That said, I hope all Christians hold the Obama administration accountable to protect, the poor, the 'unborn', and all those things that Christ teaches us we are to do as Christians.

- Some day, I hope to vote for a pro-life democrat.

- Lastly, Obama is from Chicago and probably a bears fan and we all know that the Bears deserve to lose to the Packers (like they are right now).

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home