Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Friday, October 03, 2008

AdWords

One time I went to an event at a Church, at which some dude began speaking in tongues and telling me I needed healing. I like Jesus a lot, but that crap weirds me out still, and really weirded me out then. The conversation was like this:
Him: I'll pray for you.
Me: Thanks.
Him: Come here.
Me: Why?
Him: To pray for you.
Me: Yeah...OK (Touches my shoulder; begins gibberish)
Him: You need healing.
Me: I'm good.
Him: No, you need spiritual healing, you need to meet Jesus.
Me: Umm, I don't want to debate theology but I really kind of feel like I know him.
Him: Nope.
Me: Have a nice day.

That guy probably felt like he was reaching out to help my heart. At the time I thought he was a douche. Now I think he was just looking for significance and trying to be edgy.

I was reminded of this experience by google today. As an experiment for a play I was writing, I stuck ad words on my blog. It's always an interesting snapshot into what google thinks I care about. Google was like the guy.
Today's words (likely to change because of something in this post) sell me jockey underwear and the opportunity to meet mormon men.

I hope google doesn't know something about me that I don't.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael Joseph Sharp said...

Was his name Evan?

5:52 PM  
Blogger RA Cook said...

I don't know. The only Christian evan I know in Cincinnati is awesome, I think you work with him at UC

7:15 PM  
Blogger Michael Joseph Sharp said...

If it's the same in name, then we are speaking about a man who changed my life, ...perhaps yours too. When Evan first wanted to talk about Jesus, I thought, ...well at least he bought me coffee. And then...

Please pray for Spencer Henderson and his family.

7:34 PM  
Blogger RA Cook said...

The db at the church was some stranger. Evan Griffin is a guy I know vaguely (he spoke at some young life things I went to and I think I ran into him at a coffee shop where Katie Reider was singing.
I asked him for an inspirational quote to stick into a letter I was writing to my girlfriend (now wife) on a mission trip, and he said "Love God, hate sin, kill giants."

Interestingly I have another odd connection. The father of a girl from a young life club we started mentored Evan when he was younger. Again, I don't really know the guy but everything I've ever heard about him is awesome.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home