Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Monday, March 20, 2006

My Environmental Id

My superego has been working on a paper for the past week.
Tomorrow I fly down to testify at a public hearing. I go to a meeting, talk about some technologies, and how by using this stuff we'll be using the best technology available to minimize adverse environmental impact (not kill stuff).
And I'm right.
This is the best way to go. We need to build this port. If we don't it will create a big problem for electric utilities, and the military, and poor people, and me.

But it's a bit complicated.
The port lets us get more fossil fuel into the US (in this case Natural Gas).
Cleaner--yes.
Sustainable--no.

And here's the thing. Our lifestyle is unsustainable. I like it. I like my house. I don't like my car that much, but I like being able to buy whichever one I darn well please. I like it.
But it can't last.
The suburbs are the greatest misallocation of resources in human history and lots of why we have them has to do with "black men are scary."
SUV-s are silly unless you're a militia hobbyist (or live in Detroit...my sister gets a pass because Detroit roads suck).
We use too much stuff.
And that's the thing. The only way to satisfy our need is fossil fuel. Right now that's true. Somewhere in the history of everything that works there's a time when it didn't, so I'm sure if we throw some serious money at the problem we'll eventually get better energy sources, but right now the problem is on the demand side.
If my buddy is a sex addict it doesn't matter if the only viable source for his demand for head is a hooker. The demand needs to get fixed...
Thus says my id.

But we need the natural gas. We really do. It will give jobs in places where we need them, like the southern state construction and chemical industry and provide cleaner alternatives for power than coal.

So I go to this meeting.

3 Comments:

Blogger RA Cook said...

I should note for the sake of clarity--this project is absolutely sustainable. It's a really good project.
My concern is over the long term sustainability on the demand side.

6:21 AM  
Blogger RA Cook said...

I should note for the sake of clarity--this project is absolutely sustainable. It's a really good project.
My concern is over the long term sustainability on the demand side.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Keith W said...

dude,

stop thinking, except the corporate line and the american dream and CONSUME baby. I think you should go buy something to distract/medicate you from your convictions. live for the now baby, don't worry about the long-term sustainability; or the drastic class wars that we perpetuate with our consumer tendencies.

Long live the American Cinsumption Machine!

ps, here is a fun website that your blog reminded me of:
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

Keith

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home