Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Back to Writing

I tend to write in spurts, driven by a need to put clarity to thoughts.
I think I will be writing a lot in the coming months.

I've been reading a lot of the Acts 29 guys recently (Matt Chandler and Mark Driscoll mostly). They're fine, but I saw an interesting comment from Driscoll regarding Megachurches that bugged me.
__
The major blind spot of megachurches is that they tend to be very effeminate with aesthetics, music, and preaching perfectly tailored for moms. Manly men are repelled by this, and many of the men who find it appealing are the types to sing prom songs to Jesus and learn about their feelings while sitting in a seafoam green chair drinking herbal tea—the spiritual equivalent of Richard Simmons.
__
I have no idea if this is true for most churches, don't know what seafoam is, and am not over the moon about herbal tea, but I think this comment is idiotic.

We have megachurches for exactly the same reason we have shopping malls, big box retailers, and IKEA stores--we are used to driving places.

It's like in the Big Lebowski...
The Big Lebowski: What makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?
The Dude: Dude.
The Big Lebowski: Huh?
The Dude: Uhh... I don't know sir.
The Big Lebowski: Is it being prepared to do the right thing, whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a man?
The Dude: Hmmm... Sure, that and a pair of testicles.

But let's make sure to talk about it for a really long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home